Thursday, May 15, 2008

Malibu

For some reason, I can’t keep a pair of sunglasses. It seems like I’m constantly breaking or losing these things. I had two pair when I came to California three months ago, and now I can’t find either one. Since the sun has decided to shine all the time recently, my lack of proper eyewear rapidly became irritating. Fortunately, I found a 99 Cent store that carries sunglasses. Upon reflection, maybe I should have bought more than two new pairs. I’m up to 0 for 6 on the home purchase effort…maybe 7 will be the lucky number.

My only relative who lives west of Texas is my mom’s sister, Cris. She lives with her friend Nicki and their dog Bridget in an area north of L.A. called Malibu. I’d never been to their place before; so I flew down to visit over a long weekend in mid-April. The area has a different feel to it—I’m not sure how to put it in words. The local newspaper seems to be filled with pictures of celebrities who live in the area out supporting their charity of choice. I looked around for pink Corvettes, but never did see Malibu Barbie. While out for a walk with Bridget, we noticed that Casper Van Dien’s (Tarzan, Starship Troopers) place had a leaking sprinkler head or something and was losing a bunch of water down the driveway into the storm drain. Of course his place was gated; so we couldn’t waltz up to the door and inform him of the issue. We had to settle for telling a neighbor who had his phone number.

One day we took a picnic lunch up to Lake Casitas State Park and rented a pontoon boat to cruise around on the lake. The lake was pretty and crowd-free, and it had the only floating outhouse that I’ve come across. I used carry-on luggage for my weekend trip and couldn’t take sunscreen past the airport grinches. Cris let me borrow some that had been left at their place, but I think someone sabotaged the sunscreen. It was white like paint and wouldn’t rub in; so I went around most of the day looking ghoulish (more than normal). We didn’t get the pontoon stuck anywhere, although we did get in trouble with the ranger for tying up the boat to a fishing pier while going for a walk. Later we were chastised by the same ranger for speeding in the no-wake area, but, luckily, I think they give you three strikes in California. After leaving the park, we went to the city of Ojai (I think it’s pronounced oh, hi rather than O.J.) We walked around and ate at a very good Thai restaurant (with S3-like soup!) before returning to Malibu.

The good company and beautiful area made for a very fun and relaxing weekend. The 2 ocean pictures were taken from their backyard--check out the views!









No comments: